Sunday, November 29, 2015

Physiological Starbucks Advertising: What you want to know about coffee

So I don't know about you all but I am fairly dependent on that daily cup of jo. We've all heard about its effects on your teeth and the enormous amount of caffeine content and can’t stop drinking despite all that. Seeing as my personal productivity is directly linked to that first cup of coffee, many college students could use another excuse to justify this minor addiction. A study done at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health looked into the long-term effects of daily coffee consumption. Surprisingly, a significant correlation was seen between coffee drinkers and lowered risk of mortality due to cardiovascular and neurological disease as well as suicide. Unfortunately, there was no significant data supporting caffeinated coffee over decaf so we'll have to keep a different way to validate our exponential caffeine intake. Even so, the findings essentially suggested: coffee will make you live longer. 
Now I was a bit skeptical about how they were able to ascertain valid data and make such a blanket statement. My qualms were laid to rest when I found their study began in 1976 with a primarily adult female population size of nearly 300,000 participants who were surveyed throughout the years on their coffee intake among other life-style details, general health and diet. Anyway, back to the science. They propose that chlorogenic acid, the component in coffee hypothesized to play a role in prevention of type II diabetes, may also play a role in decreased CVD since the two often share common pathologies and mechanisms. They also suggest the decreased neurological risks could be due to caffeine attenuating to the neurotoxin MPTP, which has been known to play a role in neurological cases. How does this affect us? Coffee is not only what gets us up in the morning but it also may be beneficial long term. So next time you're feeling guilty about that $3 latte just remind yourself that coffee could be a lifesaver.

The link for the full article is listed below!
Reference:

1 comment:

  1. Alli, I find this fascinating because I too have an addiction to coffee. Without it my mornings would not be the same. I would chronically be late, sluggish and worst of all...surly. As I was reading through your post a few thoughts popped into my head.

    First off, did you find anything in your research about what type of coffee was investigated? I am a huge fan of medium roast coffee as it has the most caffeine per coffee bean. Some caffeine is lost in the roasting process of darker coffee.

    Secondly, coffee drinks like lattes and frappuccinos have additives in them like sugars and creamer. I would speculate that these additives could negatively influence the benefits of daily coffee use.

    Regardless, I intend on a long and prosperous coffee drinking career. It is the fuel needed to kick start the day and tastes so good with a beautiful mountain view. Now, I have a pot of coffee and finals to attend to. Happy coffeeing!

    http://www.ajcoffeeco.com/blog/the-truth-about-caffeine-and-dark-roast-coffee-today/

    ReplyDelete